This guide is suitable for beginner
Here is a demo website running in web hosting Gratis Terbaik with Let’s Encrypt SSL installed exactly as described in this guide: https://gratisterbaikdemo.nichesite.org/
Usually you cannot use free SSL in free web hosting, it is a paid premium feature.
In web hosting Gratis Terbaik it is possible to use free SSL, but it is a manual process. Here we show you how to do it step by step completely free using a free subdomain.
Explanation for experts:
We will create a free Let’s Encrypt SSL with certbot. It needs to be validated by HTTP or DNS TXT record method.
In web hosting Gratis Terbaik, you cannot use the certbot HTTP method (blocked by network for security reasons) and you also cannot create a DNS TXT record. You can only create CNAME record.
So we will create a free subdomain using cloudns.net for DNS management and make the TXT record. Then we will make a CNAME record in web hosting Gratis Terbaik pointing to the TXT record in Cloudns.net subdomain.
When certbot is checking for the TXT record on our subdomain in web hosting GRATIS TERBAIK, the request is forwarded to the TXT record in cloudns.net free subdomain. and certbot validates the certificate.
What you need:
– A Gratis Terbaik web hosting 10GB: (Order here)
– Computer with Ubuntu Linux (if you don’t have, here is a guide how to run Ubuntu very easy from USB on any PC without installing) → https://omkomputer.com/cara-membuat-bootable-ubuntu-di-usb-flashdisk/ This guide is using Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, but it should work well in 16.04 & 20.04 LTS and probably any other recent Ubuntu version.
– Website / app running in web hosting Gratis Terbaik (In a new web hosting, first install / create your app. Open “Softaculous” installer and chose your app like WordPress, Moodle or any of the other 300+ apps).
– Your website / app must be running and accessible in browser via http://subdomaingratisanda.domain.tld (for example http://gratisterbaikdemo.nichesite.org)
Now let’s start!
1. Start your computer with Ubuntu and open a browser
2. Create a free subdomain for DNS management
→ Go to Cloudns Asia and create a free account
→ In DNS Zones, click “Add new”
→ Select “Free zone”
→ Create your free domain, in our example we use gratisterbaik.cloudns.asia and click “Register” Remember this domain, you need it for step 2.
–> Check that the result looks like this:
→ Stay logged in this page, you need to come back in next steps
3. Set CNAME record in the DNS of your free web hosting
→ Login to your Gratis Terbaik cpanel (Link to login)
→ Open “ CNAME Records”
→ Create CNAME record like in the picture
Domain: chose your free subdomain from the list
Destination: enter certbot. plus the free subdomain you have created in step 1 in Cloudns (in our example we enter certbot.gratisterbaik.cloudns.asia)
→ Drink coffee, it can take a while for the DNS to be ready. Wait at least 10 minutes
4. Create your free SSL Certificate
→ In your Ubuntu, open Terminal (Press CTRL-Alt-T)
→ Enter the following commands (you can copy from here and paste into terminal with right-click paste):
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:certbot/certbot and press Enter
sudo apt-get update and press Enter
sudo apt install certbot and press Enter
sudo certbot certonly --manual --preferred-challenges=dns -d gratisterbaikdemo.nichesite.org and press Enter. You have to replace gratisterbaikdemo.nichesite.org with your free subdomain from web hosting Gratis Terbaik
5. Type Y (capital) when it ask “Are you OK with your IP being logged?”
6. DO NOT PRESS ENTER, we first need to do something else. Only copy the challenge string. Select it and right-click copy
7. Go back to your Cloudns.net account, select the subdomain DNS Zone you created and select TXT.
8. Then Click “Add new record”
9. In “Host” enter certbot; in “Host Points To” paste the challenge string you copied from the certbot tool above in step 5. Then click “Update”
10. Go back to certbot in Terminal to “Press Enter to Continue” and press Enter
Now your certificates will be created. Make sure there is no error from certbot. If you get any error, check again every step and make sure everything is correct. If you correct any mistake, you can run certbot again, just start again from step 4.
5. Install the SSL in your website
1. In your cpanel Gratis Terbaik, click on SSL/TLS
2. Click “Configure” behind your domain name. It will open the SSL page for your domain.
Now we need to install a little tool in our Ubuntu and locate the certificate files.
3. In Terminal, type sudo apt install xclip and press Enter. This will install a nice tool to copy the certificates.
4. Then type sudo -i and press Enter. This will make you super user “root” so you can see the secret certificates.
5. Then type cd /etc/letsencrypt/live and press Enter to go to your certificates
6. Type ls and press Enter. It should show you your web hosting Gratis Terbaik domain
7. Type cd “yourdomain”, for example cd gratisterbaikdemo.nichesite.org and press Enter
8. Type ls and press Enter. You should see the files “cert.pem chain.pem fullchain.pem privkey.pem”
9. Now we need to copy the key using the xclip tool we installed. Type xclip -sel c < privkey.pem and press Enter
10. Go back to your cpanel Gratis Terbaik SSL screen (from step 2). Right-click paste in the “Private key” field. It should paste your key and should look like the image. If OK, click “Upload Key”.
11. Repeat the same for the certificate. In Terminal, type xclip -sel c < cert.pem and press Enter
12. Go back to your cpanel Gratis Terbaik SSL screen. Right-click paste in the “Certificate” field. It should paste your certificate and should look like the image. If OK, click “Upload Certificate”.
Now comes the moment of truth…did it all work? Let’s try:
Open a browser on any computer or device. Enter your website including the HTTPS in the browser, for example https://gratisterbaikdemo.nichesite.org.
If there is no error or warning, and a lock showing in front of your domain, it means your SSL was installed successfully. It should look like this (Chrome):
Enjoy web hosting Gratis Terbaik safely with SSL!
Please share this information, not many people know about this. Many people cannot use free web hosting because no SSL. With web hosting Gratis Terbaik, you can!